Tamarind extract- 50 gm (Make an extract with 2 glass of water)
Tomatoes -1 Big (Finely chopped)
Turmeric powder– a pinch
Garlic – 3-4 cloves (crushed)
Oil – 1 ½tbsp
Mustard seeds– 1 tbsp
Fenugreek – ½ tsp
Curry Leaves -1tbsp (Finely Chopped)
Red Chilli -1nos (split into two)
For Rasam Powder
Tur Dal – ½ cup
Peppercorns – ½ cup
Red chilli – 2 nos
Cumin seeds – 1 cup
In the pan, fry all the above mixture for 3 minutes without oil. Let it cool. In the mixer, dry grind it to make the Rasam powder. Store it in a air tight container.
Rasam Powder-1 ½ tbsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (Finely Chopped)
1. Extract tamarind and add chopped tomatoes. Mix the tomatoes well with the extract. Remove the remnants of the tomatoes pulp.
2. Add Rasam powder, crushed garlic cloves, turmeric powder, salt and coriander leaves.
3. In the pan, add oil, mustard seeds allow it to splutter, and then add curry leaves, red chilli flakes.
4. Pour the above extract into the pan. Reduce the flame wait for the 5mins until frothy layer form on the sides of the pan.
5. Once the froth layer appears wait for 2 mins and Remove the Rasam from the Stove. Garnish with coriander leaves.Do not allow the rasam to over boil which will spoil the taste of it. Switch off the gas when the below showed picture consistency comes.
This Rasam recipe is very easiest option. It is a spicy, tangy and good appetite stimulator. The tamarind in the Rasam has good nutritional value and health benefits. The tamarind endorses a healthy heart by lowering cholesterol, good source of antioxidants that fight against cancer, enhances to digestion, and also used to treat spleen disorders. Black pepper also helps to prevent the formation of intestinal gas, promotes urination, and promotes sweating and it also has a good amount of iron, manganese and dietary fibres. The garlic in the Rasam is good for digestion problems and also acts as a blood purifier.
This is the famous South Indian mouth- watering simple ‘Rasam’. If the dish is tempered and seasoned at the last stage home will be filled with a tempting and wonderful aroma.