- Tur Dal -3/4 cup
- Sambar Powder – 3/4 tsp
- Tamarind – 1 ( New tmrd lemon size)
- Gingelly oil – 3 tbsp
- Sambar Onions – 10 no
- Tomatoes – 1 no
- Mixed Vegetables – 1 cup (Potato, drum stick, cluster beans, brinjal, lady’s finger, carrot)
- Hing – 1 pinch
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Fenugreek – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves- 1 string
- Red Chilly – 4 no (make it two pcs)
- Cilantro/ coriander-1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- In a cooker, add the dal, turmeric powder and 1tbsp oil. Cook in a medium flame for 10-15 mins.
- Fry sambar onions, tomatoes and vegetables of your choice with 1 1/2 tbsp of oil.
- Fry the vegetables till it is soft. Then add some water allow it to cook.
- Meanwhile prepare extract tamarind pulp.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add the tamarind extract, mashed dal, salt and hing.
- Once Sambar starts to boil. Switch off the stove.
- In a pan heat the remaining oil add mustard when they start crackling add fenugreek, red chilies and curry leaves.
Serve hot and garnish with cilantro.
Sambar is a cocktail of dal, spices, vegetables, tamarind. It is a low-calorie dish which has high value of protein, vitamins, antioxidants. It can also be described has a whole some food, which is not too spicy and hence can be given to infants, kids and also elderly person. Sambar is a good accomplishment for Idli, Dosa,pongal and even rice.