- Tur Dal -1 cup
- Tamarind – 1 ( New tmrd lemon size)
- Rice Flour – ½ tsp
- Gingelly oil- 3 tbsp
- Mixed Vegetables- 1 cup (Potato, drum stick, cluster beans, brinjal, lady’s finger, carrot)
- Hing – 1pinch
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Fenugreek – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves- 1 string
- Red Chilly – 10 no (make it two pcs)
- Green chili- 4nos (split)
- Cilantro/ coriander-1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- In a cooker, add the dal, turmeric powder and 1tbsp oil. Cook in a medium flame for 10-15 mins.
- In a pan heat the remaining oil add the seasonings when they crackle then add red chilies, green chilies and vegetables of your choice.
- Fry the vegetables till it is soft. Then add some water allow it to cook.
- Meanwhile prepare extract tamarind pulp.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add the tamarind extract, mashed dal, salt and hing.
- Make the rice flour into a paste add it to the boiling sambar.
- Once Sambar starts to boil. Switch of the stove.
Serve hot and garnish with cilantro.
Sambar is a cocktail of dal, spices, vegetables, tamarind. It is a low caloroe dish which has high value of protein, vitamins, antioxidants. It can also be described has a whole some food, which is not too spicy and hence can be given to infants, kids and also elderly person. Sambar is a good accomplishment for Idli, Dosa,pongal and even rice.