- Tur Dal – ½ cup
- Brinjal _ 2 big
- Lemon – 1nos
- Cashew nuts – 6-7nos (soak and grind)
- Green chilly – 6 nos (split into two)
- Ginger – ½” pc
- Salt to taste
- Hing – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Urid dal – ¾ tsp
- Curry Leaves- 1 string
- Red Chilly – 2 no (make it two pcs)
- Cilantro/ coriander-1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Burn the brinjal, deskin and mash it.
- In a vessel make a paste of cooked dal and add salt, mashed brinjal and hing.
- In a Kadai, add the Oil, and add the seasonings one by one allow it to splutter.
- Add the green chillies fry it, add the above mixture.
- Allow the mixture to boil and add cashew paste to thicken the gravy and wait for 5-10 mins.
- Close the kadai the lid. Now switch off the stove.
- Add the lemon juice over the gravy.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Kathrikai Puli Kothsu
Instead of lemon juice tamarind extract can be added at the time of boiling with fenugreek powder, as a variation.
Ground Kathrikai Kothsu
- Coriander Seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Channa Dal- 1 tsp
- Urid Dal – ¾ tsp
- Red Chillies – 6 nos
Fry all the items separately and grind it together. Add the paste to the while the kathrikai puli kothsu boiling. Add serve with fresh corianders.