Karimeen or Pearl Spot is a freshwater fish in Kerala. Karimeen Fry, Karimeen Pollichathu, Karimeen Mappas are all delicacies from God’s Own Country – Kerala. You can either shallow fry or deep fry the fish.
- Pearl Spot/Karimeen – 4 nos
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Power – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp (Optional)
- Eastern Fish Masala Powder – 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Vinegar – 1 to 2 tsp (Alternatively, you can use Lemon Juice)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – as needed for frying
- Clean the fish thoroughly. Remove the eyes, scales and fins and make gashes on both sides of the fish. You can also cut the mouth using Kitchen Shears.
- Make a marinate using the above ingredients (except oil) and apply it liberally on the fish. Stuff some marinade inside the fish. Refrigerate it for 1-2 hours for a better flavor.
- Heat oil in fan. You can shallow fry or deep fry the fish until brown and crisp.
Serve each fish with sliced onions, and a wedge of lemon