- Black pepper – 10
- Cinnamon – 2” inch stick
- Cardamoms – 3
- Cloves – 10
- Bay leaves – 4
- Mace – a pinch
- Caraway seeds -1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
For the Fish:
- Fish – 1 kg
- Gram flour – 2 tbsp ( make a paste with water)
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Apply it on the fish and keep aside
- Onion – 2 large (sliced for briyani style)
- Bay leaves – 2
- Green chillies – 3 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Carum seeds – ½ tbsp
- Green cardamoms – 4 tbsp
- Cloves – 6
- Yoghurt – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – 4 tbsp
- Butter – ¾ cup
- Boil the rice in water along with salt, masala’s and lemon juice.
- Cook till 90% done and drain. Discard the masala
- Heat ½ cup clarified butter in a pan. Saute bay leaves and fry onions till golden
- Now add the ginger, garlic paste and green chillies. Saute till brown.
- Add the coriander and red chilli powder and saute for 15 seconds.
- Add the whisked yoghurt and caraway seeds, cardamom and clove powder and cook for 5 mins.
- Now slide in the fish pieces and cook for about 5 mins. Remove from heat.
Sprinkle the coriander leaves and 1 tbsp. lemon juice on the fish.
- Layer the fish on the rice. Pour the balance melted clarified butter evenly over the rice. Close with a tight lid and seal with dough.
- Place the pan on top of a griddle on very low heat and cook for 6-8 mins