- Mutton with bone – ½ kg
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Onion – 1 (sliced for biryani)
- Thick cream – 2 tbsp
- Saffron – ½ tbsp (soaked in water)
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
For the marinade
- Curd, – 1 cup whisked
- Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
- Almonds – 1 ½ tbsp(powdered)
- Red chili powder -1/2 tbsp
- Green cardamom – ½ tbsp (powdered)
- Cinnamon -1/2 tbsp(powdered)
- Cloves -1/2 tbsp(powdered)
- Mace -1/2 tbsp(powdered)
- Nutmeg -1/2 tbsp (powdered)
- Salt -as required
- Wash meat, pat dry and cut into pieces.
- Combine ingredients for marinade, mix in meat and marinade for 30 minutes.
- Wash rice and soak in water for an hour.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pressure cooker, add onion and fry till golden.
- Stir in meat with its marinade and 3 cups water, and cook under pressure for 15 minutes. Allow cooker to cool before opening it. There should be 2 cups of gravy left.
- Strain meat and reserve meat and gravy.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep pan. Drain rice, add to pan and fry over low heat for 8-9 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove half the rice and place meat over remaining rice. Cover meat with removed rice.
- Mix cream with reserved gravy and pour over rice.
- Sprinkle with saffron water and bake in an oven preheated to 150C (300F) for 30 minutes or cover and cook under dum till done