- Idlies – 6-8 Idlies (Cut each into 8-9 pieces)
- Maida/all-purpose flour -2tbsp
- Corn flour -1tbsp
- Ginger-Garlic Paste -1tsp
- Green Chilli Paste -1tsp
- Orange colour -a pinch (if reqd)
- Water -1/2 cup
- Oil to Fry
- Salt to taste
- Spring onions -1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Capsicum -1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1/2tsp (finely minced)
- Ginger -1/4tsp (finely minced)
- Green chilli -1nos (finely chopped)
- Kashmiri Chilli powder -1/4tsp
- Tomato sauce -11/2 tbsp
- Soya sauce -1/2tbsp
- Chilli sauce -1/4tbsp
- White vinegar -1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil -2tbsp
- Cilantro -1tbsp (finely chopped)
To Make Manchurians:
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Meanwhile In a bowl, mix Maida, corn flour, salt, ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, color and water to make a thick batter. Dip the idlies one by one into the batter such that it’s well coated. Place each piece that is well coated with the batter into the hot oil.
- Do not over crowd the vessel. Reduce flame and deep fry till it turns lightly brown. Increase the flame towards the end of the cooking process and fry till it turns golden brown. Remove onto tissue paper and keep it aside.
To Make the Sauce:
- Heat oil in a large wok and once the oil is piping hot, add the chopped garlic and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the green chillies and ginger and stir fry on high for a few seconds.
- Add the whites of spring onions and stir fry on high for 3-4 mins toss them constantly. Add the sliced capsicum and stir fry for another 3 mins. They should retain their crispness.
- Reduce the flame add the sauces and vinegar. Stir well wait until it gets cooked for 2 mins. Sprinkle water to the mixture and close the lid.
- After 3-4 mins add the fried idlies and stir fry the mixture. Toss on high flame for 3-4 mins. Serve with the chopped spring onion greens and cilantro.
Idly Manchurian is ready to serve.
Idly is good combo of carbohydrates, proteins and amino acids. Since it is fermented, vitamin B12 is more enhanced with ginger and garlic helps in easy digestion and spring onions which are good source of dietary fibre, to maintain maximum optimum health.