Prasadam that will be done during karthigai deepam are Pori urundai, Adhirasam and Appam
Following is the recipe for the appam
- Rice flour – 2 cups ( Palappam podi)
- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 250-300gms
- Ripe banana – 2-3 (Poovan pazham)
- Coconut bits– ½ cup
- Black sesame seeds – 1½ tbsp
- Baking soda – ½ – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Oil/ghee – for deep frying (I used coconut oil mixed in equal proportions)
- Add 1 cup water to jaggery and melt it. Strain the jaggery and let it cool completely.
- Fry the black sesame seeds and coconut bits in ghee till it turns golden brown.
- Grind the bananas first, add 2 tbsp of melted jaggery to the ground banana and grind again till you get a smooth paste.
- Mix together rice flour, wheat flour, ground banana and melted jaggery. Add water little by little till you get the consistency of Idly batter. You may need around 1-1.5 cups of water. Add fried coconut bits and sesame seeds and baking soda to the batter. Mix well.
- Keep aside the batter for 30-45 mins. Heat oil in Kuzhiappam pan, when the oil/ghee is really hot, reduce the flame to low-medium. Drop tablespoons of batter to the chatti. Keep turning the appams in regular intervals, till its golden brown on both the sides. Drain excess oil on tissue paper.
If you want a crispier appams, substitute wheat flour with rice flour. But I don’t like the crispy taste of banana in appam, so use lesser qty of banana. Depending on your taste add extra banana.