Rice Flour – 1 cup sifted
Urid Dal flour -2 tsp
Freshly grated coconut – 1 tbsp
Jaggery -1 cup
Cardamom powder – a pinch
Ghee – ½ tsp
Oil for deep frying
- Break the Jaggery into small pieces.
- Add 1 cup of hot water to the jaggery and wait for at least ½ hour.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the rice flour in low flame until aromatic for about a minute or so. Keep it aside let it cool down.
- Also dry toast the sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Add Ghee and grated coconut. Fry it and set aside.
- Strain the jaggery water mixture with a strainer to remove all debris if any.
- Warm the jaggery syrup in a vessel, add cardamom powder.
- Add Jaggery syrup spoon by spoon, the dry ingredients along with coconut to form tight dough. Too much liquid will spoil the recipe.
- Depending on the flour quality, you may only require the just half jaggery syrup. So take care while adding the syrup.
- Set aside the dough for 30 min. This enables the flour to absorb all the flavors.
- Tke a small piece of the dough and using a greased palm, roll it out into small balls. Place a damp cloth/paper towel.
- Deep fry the balls. Bubbles will appear in the beginning. Also make sure that oil is not too hot.
- Stir it to prevent the balls from sticking to one another.
- Fry till deep brown. Drain in paper towels to remove excess oil.
- The above will yield will make around 20-25 depending on the size.