- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Urid Dal Flour- 2 tbsp
- White sesame seeds -1/2 tbsp
- Grated coconut -2 tbsp (freshly grated preferable)
- Butter -2 tbsp, at room temperature
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida powder- 1/2 tsp
- Mix all the above ingredients together
- Add water little or make the flour into batches and form it into an tight dough.
- Take a very little piece of the dough and roll using your palms into a small round gently roughly the shape of small marbles.
- Take a slightly damp towel. Lay it on the ground. Place the marbles on the dampen cloth.
- Heat oil to deep fry. Drop balls one by one into the oil and let them deep fry.
- Move it slightly now and then, so that they don’t get cramped together. When fully cooked the balls will come up and will be full of bubbles while cooking
- Remove and place it on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
The above measurements yield can make around 60-80 depending on the size of the balls.
Store in a air tight container.
Tips to avoid bursting in hot oil
Main reasons for that at times it starts bursting while you are frying and scattering hot oil all over the kitchen. Here are some of the possible reasons and how you can avoid this from happening.
- Cleaning the rice flour: Make sure to sieve the rice flour well, couple of times, before using in the recipe. The flour should be fine without any particles. Seive the flour well to get only the fine powder.
- Making the balls softly: The tighter you roll them, more the chances of them bursting. While rotating them in your palm, keep it as gentle as possible and use feather light touch to roll out. There should not be air trapped inside the doughthe tighter you roll it the harder for the air bubbles and hence gets trapped inside causing the sudden bursting in the oil. More over like air, if any excess moisture/water is trapped, the result will be a disaster too. Hence frozen coconut is not ideal. But if using makes sure that you knead the dough very well before lightly rolling them out into balls.
- Using hot oil for making the dough: Parting the mixed flour and use the hot oil (that you are heating for deep frying) to the mix the dough this helps to àvoid the calamity!
- Drying it out: Placing the balls on the moist cloth
- Punch a hole: Prick the balls with a needle and deep fry it.