Rice flour – 1 cup
Coconut milk – 1 cup (if using from the can or milk taken from 1 medium coconut)
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Salt – A pinch
Ghee – 1 tsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Oil – 4 tsp
Cardamom(Elakkai) powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mix ½ cup of milk, 1½ cups of water to the rice flour with ghee and a pinch of salt together.
- Heat the batter in a non stick pan and keep stirring without any lumps, till it forms a dough consistency.
- Cool the mixture, and add oil and knead it into an soft dough.
- Make it into small balls out of soft dough.
- Take milk from the coconut.
- In a non stick pan, add the 3rd extract and the rice balls together.
- When it boils and the balls floats on the top, then add the 2nd extract.
- Finally add the 1st extract and the sugar after 3 minutes.
- Wait until the mixture thickens and add the cardamom powder.Kozhukattais are ready to be served.
PROCEDURE TO TAKE COCONUT MILK
First time when milk extracts that comes from the coconut, it will be thick milk. And this is your 1st extract. Again add water and extract milk from coconut. This time u will get slightly thinner milk. This is 2 nd extract. Repeat it again the third time too where u will get a very thin extract. Do not mix the coconut milks together. Keep it aside.
For tinned coconut milk, add ½ cup of water to ½ cup of the coconut milk cream to get the first thick extract. Take ¼ cup of coconut cream and add ½ cup of water to make the 2nd extract and repeat this step again for the 3rd extract with add ¾ cup water to ¼ cup of coconut milk cream.