For the filling
Make the filling
- In a heavy bottomed pan. Melt the jaggery with 3 tbsp of water, add a spoon of milk to remove the dust and filter it.
- Add the grated coconut to the jaggery syrup and cook in simmer till the mixture is thicker in consistency. Add the crushed cardamom powder and mix well.
- In a non stick pan, fry the rice powder till heat is retained in the powder but do not over fry that it becomes brown.
- Add a pinch of salt, oil to the rice powder.
- Heat water in another pan; slowly add the boiling water to the rice powder.
- Whisk well so that no lumps are formed. Rice batter is ready.
- Grease your palms with a little oil and knead the dough to become soft while the dough is warm, if the dough cools then it will forms lumps.
- Take a small ball of dough make them into a cup shape.
- Keep the filling in the center and to close the cup press it on the tip.
- Heat the water in a steamer, place the modaks on the steamer plate and steam for 6 to7 minutes
- Once the modaks are cooked they will turn translucent. Serve hot