Sugar -2/3 Cup
Dry Fruits – 5 Cups (Raisins, Sultanas, Currants, Cranberries, Cherries, Apricots, Figs, Prunes, Dates)
Water – 1 cup
Brandy/Rum – 1/2 Cup
Soak the fruits a months before baking the cake
All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 2 1/2 Cup
Salt – ½ tsp
Cloves – ¼ tsp
Cinnamon – ¾ tsp
Nutmeg powder – ½ tsp
Butter – 1 3/8 cup
Powdered Sugar – 2 ¾ cup
Egg Yolks – 5
Vanilla essence – 1tsp
Orange marmalade – 4 tbsp
Orange Zest -½ Tsp
Egg Whites -5
Lime Juice – 3 tbsp
Powdered sugar – 3tbsp
Chopped nuts – 1 Cup (walnuts, cashew nuts Finely chop the dry fruits)
- In a non-stick pan, add the 2/3 cups sugar and let it caramelize.
- Take the sauce pan off the heat and carefully add water little by little.
- Add the chopped dry fruits and reheat mixture until it starts boiling. Take off from the heat and add ½ Cup Brandy or Rum
- Let the mixture cool completely; cover and seal in an air tight container
For Cake batter
- Preheat the oven to 350F/ 175C
- Grease the cake pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices (cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg) and keep it aside.
- Mix the butter and sugar together and add the egg yolk one by one until everything is incorporated.
- Add the soaked dry fruits and mix.
- Stir in the flour mixture in batches and mix.
- Add Vanilla essence, Orange marmalade, Orange Zest and chopped nuts
- In a big bowl, beat the egg white until they form stiff peaks. Add the lime juice and powdered sugar and mix again.
- Folding egg white into cake – Pour 1/2 of the beaten egg whites into the cake batter, and stir it in. This thins and lightens the batter, making it easier to incorporate the rest of the egg whites. Mix until there are no visible streaks of egg white in the batter.
- Pour remaining egg whites into the batter. This time, instead of stirring, gently lift batter from the bottom of the bowl and gently fold it over top of the egg whites. Handle the batter gently, in order to preserve the foam as much as possible. Repeat, until the egg whites are dispersed throughout the batter but still visible.
- Pour the cake batter into prepared pans and bake for 1 hour or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.