1. Mix the sugar, hot water, gelatine and cream of tartar in a small pan and stir until the sugar dissolves. Place the pan on the stove and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Pour the liquid into a bowl, stir the essence and colour. Cool till a skin begins to form on top.
3. Beat the mixture hard until it’s thick.
4. Then pour it into a greased container dusted with icing sugar. Chill in the refrigerator until the gelatine is firm and set.
5. Cut the marsh mellow cubes and roll the cubes with icing sugar.