Sweet pongal is all time favourite for everyone – no one can say no for it.
- Raw Rice – 1 cup (Jeera Rice Preferred)
- Moong Dal – ¼ cup
- Milk -1 cup
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup (crushed or grated)
- Cardamom powder – a small pinch
- Ghee– 2 tbsp
- Salt- a small pinch
- Cashews– 1 tsp broken
- Raisins – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Mix the water and milk in a cooker or heavy bottomed pan. Bring the mixture to boil.
- Meanwhile dry roast the dal
- Add the dal and rice to the milk with a pinch of salt.
- Close the lid; simmer the stove wait for 15-20 mins or 3 whistles.
- In a heavy bottomed pan crush the jaggery and add 3-4 tbsp of water.
- Turn on the stove to make jaggery syrup (consistency is not required) and a drop of milk when syrup starts to boil (to remove the dust if any) filter it.
- Add the rice dal mixture to the syrup and reduce the flame to simmer.
- Let it come to a semi solid consistency. Add half the ghee on the sides and crushed cardamoms this gives a nice aroma to your pongal. Switch off the stove.
- In another pan add the balance ghee, roast the cashews first and allow it to get roasted to slightly brown and then add raisins.
- Add roasted cashews raisin mixture. Mix well. Serve hot.