- Plain Flour – ¼ kg (Finely Sieved)
- Butter -1 tbsp
- Salt – ½ tbsp
- Water – 5-7tsp
- Apple – ¼ kg (Peel, core and chop)
- Cinnamon Powder – 1tsp
- Sugar – 1-2tsp
- Honey -2tbsp (Finely Chopped)
- Walnut -50gms (Finely Chopped)
- Glace Cherries – ½ tin
To Make the pastry:
- Seive Flour and salt together, rub in the
butter and mix gently to resemble bread crumbs. Lift the mixture up lightly and quickly to incorporate as much air as possible.
- Sprinkle cold water, evenly over the mixture and bind together, using a palette knife. Then knead into smooth dough.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into ¾”:”thickness, rolling in one direction only, without pressing or stretching the dough. Grease and dust a tart tray and line with the pastry.
- Pre Heat the oven on ‘convection’ at 230c for 20:00 mins.
For the Filling:
- Place the apples, in a 1 litre dish. Sprinkle with a little water, cinnamon powder and sugar. Microwave at 100% power for 5:00 mins. Allow to cool, slightly, and then fill in the pastry.
- Mix in the walnuts and honey. Finally, top with the glace cherries.
- Pre Heat the oven ‘convection’ at 190 c for 20 mins.
Cherries are referred as super food because of its nutrition value. It’s a good source of vitamin c and dietary fibers. Cherries have antioxidants which help in reduction of arthritis and Maintain Heart Healthy. And the other is melatonin which helps in maintaining brain healthy and helps to lower sleep disorders. Of course walnuts are good source of health benefiting nutrients like omega 3 fatty acids that are vital for an optimum health. It also has phyto chemicals, vitamin E which prevents cancer, ageing, inflammation and neurological disease. Overall the dish is good for all age group and it’s a healthy and popular dessert.